Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Using Math To Justify Expensive Shampoo In These Trying Economic Times

For the last year or so, I've been splurging out on salon shampoo. I have long hair that I'm trying to grow out, and the cost of drug store shampoo was getting outrageous. I was going through two or three bottles of Herbal Essences a month, and my thick hair never seemed to soak any moisture up from that crap. It was about $4 a pop for conditioner, so $12 a month for stuff that didn't make any difference. Not much, but it still adds up...just stay with me now.

Bed Head by TIGI is a more "affordable" line in salons. No, really. They usually have sales on at the mall hair shops, and you can get the big duo for $25. There are 2 elements with this one-time expense of $25 that persuaded me that it wouldn't be a bad idea to just go for it; 1.) these shampoos come with pumps, and therefore you use less. You don't eyeball out a quarter sized amount from the bottle, then it doesn't lather, so you add another, and another... You take two pumps. If you need another, take one more. That's it. Soon you have a set amount that you take every time. 2.)They also lather better, and seem to make a bit of a difference to your hair. No kidding, I didn't use conditioner for the first couple of weeks after I bought a bottle of Dumb Blonde, that's now nice my hair was. So, let's recap: less shampoo and conditioner used, actually worked, and (drumroll please) I actually SAVED money. Yeah. It took me 6 months to finish up the bottle of Dumb Blonde. Let's have a little math lesson - 25/6= $4.17 a month for BOTH salon shampoo and conditoner.
Now, drugstore- 4 x 3 = $12(for 3 bottles that I used a month.)
12 x 2= $24(for a month of both shampoo and conditioner)
24 x 6 = $144 (for six months of crap shampoo)
I rest my case.

Actually, what I wanted to talk about was a Bed Head shampoo that you shouldn't buy. But, hey, if you would never have bought this stuff in the first place, my warning would be useless. So, anyway, don't waste your money on the Self Absorbed Shampoo. The conditioner is fine, and works great (smells great, too!), but the only thing the shampoo has going for it is the pretty candy-orange smell. It doesn't lather, doesn't clean, and I actually have to mix it with another shampoo to get my hair decent. And when I have to buy a totally separate bottle of shampoo because one doesn't work, my brilliant math is thrown off. If you'd like to try out some sneaky-thrifty Bed Head products, go for Dumb Blonde if you have colour treated or damaged hair. It says blonde, but it works as a colour preserver and a reconstructor for all haircolours. If you are a natural dark beauty, try Brunette Goddess, or if you let your hair air-dry but want some frizz control, try Control Freak. There are a ton of different kinds for all types of hair, so ch-ch-check it all out. Or, if you don't mind spending a bit more, go consult with your hairdresser. He or she will know what your hair needs most, can make a recommendation, and you still probably won't go over $40 for a duo. Just make sure it has a pump, and don't buy any of the Pureology stuff. I'm sure it works great, but the prices are nuts. I don't guarantee that the economic advantage will carry over with this stuff. But you would probably have great hair...

Listening to: Beating Heart Baby - Head Automatica

No comments: