Thursday, February 19, 2009

Hit or Miss?


I recently caved into buying some of the trendy mineral foundation that's out there. I went with Revlon ColorStay Mineral Foundation because it was kind of a mid-line value -- Didn't cost as much as stuff at Sephora, but wasn't cheap and crappy. I figured $16 isn't so much that I'll be out a whole bunch of money if the stuff works like garbage, but if it's good, then I have a reasonably priced new source for foundation. I've been using this foundation for about a month now, and I'm not sure if it's a hit or a miss. I think I'll do a pro and con list to help me decide.
Pro
  • Comes in a shade light enough for my skin.

  • Has a retractable brush built into the lid.

  • Has SPF 10.

  • Finely milled.

  • Great staying power.

  • Goes on sheer and doesn't make me look like I'm wearing much makeup.

Con

  • Contains talc as a filler...not good!
  • The brush loses bits of bristle and is kind of rough on my skin.

  • Needs more than SPF 10 to earn bragging rights.

  • Doesn't sop up my greasies and becomes visible in very oily areas.

  • Has a weird smell...like a hospital.


All in all, not terrible, but not outstanding. It works fine and I would buy it again in a pinch, but for the $16 it cost me, I would have expected no talc. That part makes me mad. I think next time I'll just shell out the $30 for some good stuff that will control my oily areas better and not get all marbled looking when I get shiny. I think this stuff would not hold up to summer "glowing" (when I get shiny and sweaty and greasy as hell in the hot summer months. Yes, I'm already planning for summer, I need something to look forward to at this point in winter... even if it's just becoming the world's biggest oil supplier). Picking brush bits off my face is also a bit annoying...it throws off my groove in the morning.

Listening to: Blur - B. Spears

1 comment:

Mortician Rachel said...

I got this a few months ago. While I liked it as a light foundation, the container broke very shortly after I bought it. Now the brush doesn't work, and the cap has a crack in it, not allowing me to screw it back on! I will never buy this again!
I hope you have better luck!