Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Pick Up One Of Them Red Dirt Shirts, Too!


When I was little, my family would make the trip from the prairies to Prince Edward Island on the East coast of Canada. My mom's family lives there, and we would spend a couple weeks at my grandparent's house. My cousins would come over and we would run around eating strawberries and concocting potions made from my grammie's garden. My grandparent's house is in a small community that consisted of a crossroads, a church right across from their house, about 4 homes, and a tiny soap shop. Not exactly a bustling area of the island. So, when we had nothing else to do, my cousins and I would go over to the shop and spend the afternoon sniffing the wares. My favorite was always the minty one.

We didn't come back to visit the island for a few years, and by the next time we did, the soap shop had moved on to greener pastures, opening a little shop in Charlottetown.

So this Christmas, my aunt (who also lives on the island) sent me a little gift from Moonsnail Soapworks. I didn't think much of it at the time until today, when I was rooting around in my soap basket for a new bar. I found this bar wrapped in a green paper wrapper, and gave it a sniff.

It instantly took me back to my childhood. This was my minty favorite! Spearmint Swirl!

So I've decided, after a deliciously minty bath, to recommend that you guys head on over to Moonsnail's Website and place a little order. All of their products are made in-shop, and have wonderfully simple and natural ingredients. I'm not kidding. My Spearmint Swirl contains "Saponified olive, coconut & palm oils, distilled water, vitamin E and spinach powder" and spearmint essential oil. That's it. You could eat this (y'know, except for the lye part). This soap is a good Lush alternative, and it costs way less - $4.95 (CAN) per bar.

Or, if you happen to be on a vacay to the island soon, make sure to stop in Ch'town and visit Moonsnail at their new studio along the waterfront.

Listening to: Sunshowers - M.I.A (My cat thinks the bird noises are real...)

No comments: