Friday, March 13, 2009

Play That Record One More Time

I'll admit, I'm not much of a makeup snob. I live in a small city that just got a MAC booth at the Bay a few months ago, and 'high end' makeup is hard to find here. I'm also a student, living on a student's budget, so even if the makeup is available, I can only stare wistfully at it. Going to Sephora in Edmonton is a trying experience for my boyfriend, since I can never make up my mind on what product I want (and can afford) and flit around. It's probably something akin to having a mosquito on a leash.
Anyway, last year when I had a full time, well paying job, I discovered that BeneFit cosmetics were available in my city, and I got very excited. BeneFit cosmetics were formerly found only in very large centres in Canada, like Vancouver or Toronto, and I had lusted over them for some time.

I finally went and bought BeneFit's Some Kind- A Gorgeous foundation, and I'm glad that I did. It is one of those skin matching foundations that you always look at and go "Well, that looks orange in the tin...Skin matching my ass". The S.A. assured me that it would still match me, swiped some on my jawline, and handed me a mirror. I puzzled over it, because it was not orange, it did indeed match my skin. I thought maybe it was the florescent lights in the store, and went outside to check it out. It still matched. Hmm. I was convinced, shelled out the (rather steep for me) $33 for it, and went home to play with my new toy.

I've used it off and on for a year, but I always come back to Some Kind-A Gorgeous to take a break from my newer foundations, or to supplement my mineral powders. I like to use it as a concealer, since it is light and pretty sheer, so my blemishes don't look obviously 'covered up' the way they can look with heavier creamy formulas. I've even used it this winter, and I am ghostly pale. It still matches up.

Don't buy this if you are looking for heavy coverage. This foundation is good for looking like you're not wearing much makeup; skin tone, muted rosiness, and freckles still peek through. It is a great summer foundation, but does require me to use blotting sheets a couple times a day. Definitely not mattefying. And the sponge they supply you with is absolute garbage. Use a foundation brush to get it even and to ensure that you aren't wasting a whole schwack of product.

Do you know of any cosmetics available in Canada for me to try? I'm always curious...
p.s. I just went on the BeneFit website and saw Hello Flawless...restrain me!

1 comment:

Mortician Rachel said...

I know what you mean - I have to drive 45 minutes to get to the nearest cosmetic counter, and the nearest Sephora is a few hours away. And college budgets don't help either!