Thursday, March 5, 2009

I'm Seeing A Hair "The-rapist"

I have been dying my hair for so many years that I'm not really sure what colour my hair would be if I went natural again. So, needless to say, my hair is rather damaged. On top of this mess, my hair is of the 'in between wavy and straight' persuasion. This means that it never dries straight, and it never dries in sexy beach waves. It just looks limp and like I've just rolled out of bed...but not in a good way. So to look like I've pulled myself together, I need to blow dry and flat iron my hair into submission.

What this means is I have damaged my hair beyond recognition, and need to take it easy for a while. See, I cut my hair off into one of those trendy short swing bobs about 2 years ago, and I've been slowly and painfully growing it out. It is now at my shoulder blades at the longest point. I say at the 'longest point' because I was an idiot and told a hair stylist that I wanted layers, but beyond that she could do what she wanted. In my defence, this usually works out in my favour, since the hairstylist gives me a great cut because she's having so much fun going hog wild. Anyway, this particular hairdresser gave me layers stretching from the crown of my head to my shoulder blades. Yup, full on mullet. I'm not kidding. Needless to say, I'm letting this grow out too...

With all of this crap damage and the need for my ends to stop breaking so that I could grow this monstrosity out, I have resorted to limiting my highlights to every 5 months (easy on the hair AND the wallet!) and letting my hair air dry almost all of the time. It sucks and I often look like I spent the night under a bridge somwehere, but my hair has slowly been getting shinier and the breakage has stopped. I've also taken to coating it with a mixture of the Body Shop's Macadamia Straightening Balm (which, by the way, does NOTHING for heat styled hair. It smells yummy though!) and Biosilk's Silk Therapy. This decreases the frizzies and keeps my hair soft.

In conjunction with my skincare regimen, I hope to have a pretty, healthy body by summer. Wish me luck! Oh, and if anyone has any suggestions for products that boost wave without becoming stiff, gimme a shout in the comments. I'm on the lookout for something that can make me look less half drowned kitten.

p.s. I can't type 'therapy' without thinking of the SNL Celebrity Jeopardy sketch about "the-rapists". Now you won't be able to, either!

Listening to: Jerk It - Thunderheist

No comments: