Friday, March 27, 2009

Can You Can-Canela?

My boyfriend's parents go on vacation to the Dominican about twice a year. With the uncanny precision of a sixth sense, they always go right when the weather turns to absolute shit and we all hole up like rodents, under layers of blankets to keep warm. And, they return, tanned and smiling, bearing rum and coffee, right after the worst of the blizzard has passed. I don't know how they do it.


Anyway, they came back again a couple weeks ago, and brought us some vanilla, coffee, and coconut oil. My boyfriend loves to cook, and he wanted some different types of oils to try. His parents brought us back a squirt bottle with the words "For A Fast and Long, Lastin Tan" (sic) on the front, and a glass bottle called "Can Canela". Neither of them looked like they would make great cooking oils (although 'Fast and Long, Lastin" does smell a tidge like mushrooms... I'm not sure I could trust it). So, I carted both of them off to the bathroom to join the ranks of bathroom crap I try once then throw in a basket and never look at again.


But...the Can Canela stuff is wonderful! I opened it up to put a little on my lips when I was running late one day, and discovered that 'canela' meant that it was cinnamon. Heh. If my Spanish was better, maybe I would have known that, eh... Anyway, I've been using this for everything lately. It moisturizes hands and feet, plumps and shines up lips, makes a lovely bath oil, and gives a wonderfully close and satiny shave. I can't believe I haven't tried coconut oil before.


You don't have to wait for someone to vacation in the Caribbean to try this out. Health food and grocery stores sell tubs of coconut oil (it is a bit more expensive when it's imported...$10-$15), and seriously, all the Dominicans did was throw a cinnamon stick into the oil and let it sit there and steep. You can do the same thing. You could also use ground cinnamon, but I don't think I would use that on anything but lips, since it might be gritty. Throw some into little travel tubs or lip pots, and you have gorgeous on the go. But, be warned, this stuff switches from solid to liquid very quickly. It is solid in my house (about 18C), but liquid the second it touches my hands. Use with caution. And...maybe look for your "fast", "long", and "lastin" things elsewhere, m'kay?


Listening to: Summertime - Sublime

No comments: