Monday, March 9, 2009

Glorious, Simply Glorious!

Last week I told you about my minimalist hair routine, and I mentioned that I use BioSilk Therapy to calm the frizzies and protect. This isn't a new product for me, I've been using it since I was 12 years old. My hairdresser gave me a sample after I got my *first* layered haircut (the 'Rachel' was in, to give you an idea of how long ago this was, and what my hair looked like...). I fell in love with it then because (sigh) I liked the way it smelled. Maybe I should change my blog's name to "Things That Smell Good!"

Anyway, I became addicted to the way it smelled and how shiny it made my hair. I would seriously flip my hair upside down and dry it into crispy obedience. Silk Therapy made it all better...or at least bearable.

On MakeUpAlley, this stuff has a bit of a bad rap for making hair look 'greasy'. To which I say: Of course you look greasy when you throw silicone onto (or into) your body willy nilly! You do need to exercise your brain and some caution when applying this stuff. First of all, I have long, thick hair and I only use a dime sized amount. You only need a little bit. More does not mean that your hair will be shinier and prettier, I just means that you will look like you crawled from bed after a week long bender.

Take a small amount in the palms of your hands. Rub them together vigorously for 10 seconds. This stuff needs to warm up quite a bit to apply smoothly. Both of your palms should be thoroughly coated. Use ONE palm to get the very ends, or the last 1/3 of your hair. Then rub your hands together again, coating both palms. Again, use ONE palm to get the next 1/3 of your hair, or the middle. Then, rub your hands together once more. You should have only a tiny bit of glisten and slickness left on each hand. With swift sharp movements, brush your hands over the last 1/3 of hair, or close to your roots. This method obviously works best with medium to long hair, but I'm confident that you could use do this on short hair as well. I use Silk Therapy before I blow dry to protect, and then a smaller amount after drying and flat ironing to add shine and smell. When I go on my reconstruction binges, I use it on wet hair, and let it air dry. Use some common sense, and tailor your useage to what kind of hair and routines you have.

Finally, I know this stuff is expensive. At the salon, it costs about $18 for a small bottle. I buy mine at Winners (usually about $7 for the medium sized bottle) or at Costco. It's so much cheaper at these places than it is anywhere else, so snap it up when you see it, as supply comes and goes. If you want to try it out, but don't want to commit to buying, ask your stylist for a sample. But be warned: This stuff is like opium for the hair.

Listening to: Girl With One Eye - Florence And The Machine

No comments: